Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Healthy Chicken Alfredo "Hot Pocket"

I used to love hot pockets, not just because they were so easy to cook but because I really did like the taste. Now that I am a healthier person I stay away from them which actually makes me sad sometimes! So I decided to try to make a healthier hot pocket at home from scratch.

Ingredients For Whole Wheat Dough:
(This will make about 12 ounces of dough)
3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
1 package Quick Rising Yeast
3/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Sugar
2/3 cup Hot Water
2 teaspoons Olive Oil

Filling Supplies:
2 chopped Chicken Breasts
Alfredo Sauce
Parmesan Cheese
Garlic Powder
1/2 bag Chopped Broccoli
Shredded Mozzerella

Mix the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a bowl.
In a measuring cup mix the olive oil and water.
Slowly pour the oil and water mixture into the flour mixture while stirring everything together.
Do this until the mixture forms a sticky ball.
(If the dough is to dry add 1 to 2 tablespoons warm water, if the dough is to sticky then add 1 to 2 tablespoons flour)

Place the ball of dough onto a lightly flour covered baking sheet. Spray a piece of plastic wrap with cooking spray then place it, sprayed side down, over the baking sheet covering the ball of dough.
Let it sit for about 20 minutes. 

While the dough is sitting cook your chopped chicken in a pan with a bit of olive oil in it. I seasoned my chicken with garlic and onion powder, I kept it simple! Also during this time steam the chopped broccoli. 


 After the dough has sat for 20 minutes roll it out on a flour dusted counter top. 
I cut out two rectangles with a pizza cutter then balled up the scraps and re rolled them out on the counter top to make my third and final rectangle.

Spay a baking sheet with cooking spray then place half the first dough rectangle on the pan.
Brush on a bit of Alfredo sauce all over the dough. 
Place some chicken, broccoli and shredded mozzarella on the half of dough that is on the pan.
Fold over the empty flap of dough over the filling then twist the sides of the dough together.

  Sprinkle a bit of Parmesan cheese and garlic powder on top of each of the "hot pockets" then place the pan in a 500 degree oven until the sides turn golden brown, this should be about 10 to 15 minutes.

These were so good, better then I thought they were going to be, and I will definitely be making them again. Everyone in the family really liked them! 




No comments:

Post a Comment