Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Spaghetti Squash Mac & Cheese

I love me some macaroni & cheese, those Kraft commercials where the adults steal their kids mac & cheese totally reminds me of myself, but unfortunately macaroni and cheese is not on my diet since its pasta and some powdered cheese...if you can call it that. So I decided to make my own healthier version.

Ingredients:
 Medium Spaghetti Squash
2 tablespoon Flour
3 tablespoons Butter
2 cups Whole Milk
1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella
1 cup Reduced Fat Shredded Mild Cheddar
1/2 cup Shredded Parmesan
Chopped Chicken (optional)
Salt and Pepper

The first thing I did was cut the spaghetti squash in half, if you have never cut into a spaghetti squash before be prepared to use all your strength because this is one tough vegetable!
I then put both pieces on a backing sheet which I had covered with foil. Next I drizzled a bit of olive oil on each slice. I finished it off with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. 
I placed the baking sheet in my preheated 375 degree oven for 35 minutes.

When the spaghetti squash had about 10 minutes until it was done baking I started to make my cheese sauce. 

First I melted the butter in a pan over medium heat. 
I then whisked in the flour.
After the butter and the flour were combined I poured in the milk and whisked everything together once again. I stirred until the sauce started to thicken which was about 5 minutes.

I then poured in all of my cheeses and stirred everything together until it was fully combined and the cheeses were nice and melted.

I sprinkled in a bit of salt and pepper then dumped in all my chopped chicken. I then mixed everything together again really well.

By the time my cheese sauce was done my squash was ready. 

I scrapped out all of the spaghetti squash into a large bowl then poured my cheese sauce over it and mixed all the yummy goodness together.

My Mommy Mac & Cheese turned out so well and was so delicious, no more stealing bites of my sons macaroni and cheese for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment