Sunday, June 15, 2014

Father's Day Dinner & DIY

The saying "a way to a man's heart is through his stomach" rings pretty true for my husband, I am always trying to make his favorite restaurant meals at home which he absolutely loves. So for Father's Day this year (we are celebrating it today since we are busy tomorrow) I made him a copy cat recipe of his favorite meal from our very favorite local Italian restaurant DiCicco's for lunch. DiCicco's was where we had our very first date, he ordered the Rigatoni Scarface and I ordered the Fettuccine Alfredo. We are still pretty frequent visitors but I've changed up my order since then, I am obsessed with their White Pizza, but my husband has stuck with the same thing...the Scarface.

 Italian White Creamy Sauce Ingredients:
1/2 cup Butter
 3 tablespoons Flour
1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
 3 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
Salt

Scarface Ingredients:
Chicken Breast
Mushrooms
Rigatoni Noodles

 First things first I filled a pot with water then put it over high heat to boil.

While waiting for the water to start boiling I chopped up the mushrooms...

...and the chicken.

After my water started boiling I threw in the whole box of Rigatoni and let it cook. This is when it got fun, I had a pot or pan on every burner!
To make the sauce I put the butter in a pot over medium low heat and let it melt. I then added the flour and stirred until the butter and flour were totally mixed together. I then added the rest of the ingredients and mixed it all up until it was nice and creamy then I took it off the burner. 

At the same time I was sauteing the mushrooms...

...and grilling the chicken.

After my noodles were cooked I poured out the water leaving the noodles in the pot. I then added the grilled chicken, sauteed mushrooms and the Italian White Cream Sauce to the pot and mixed everything together really well. I let the pot sit on low heat until I was ready to plate it.

While I set the table I placed my French Bread in the oven to warm up.

Ta Da...our "fancy" lunch DiCicco's style. 

The Rigatoni Scarface was delicious, I was pretty impressed with myself! I wanted my hubby to feel like he was actually at DiCicco's so I used the same color of napkins that they use, the red and yellow.

One of our favorite parts of DiCicco's is the massive screen that they play some of the most amazing opera music videos on, so to make our lunch seem even more authentic I had Andrea Bocelli's Radio playing on Pandora....love him!

Lunch was a big hit with my husband and our son. The smile on my husbands face when he saw the table, heard the music and tasted the food was amazing.



For a Father's Day card my son and I scrolled through Pinterest searching all the cute DIY cards. As soon as my son saw this idea he was stoked cause he knew he was going to be able to paint his foot...such a boy!

Supplies:
Paper
Daddy's Shoe
Kiddos Foot
Paint
Sharpie

The first thing we did was paint the bottom of Daddy's shoe. At first my son picked out blue for his Dad's print but changed his mind at the last second. 

So we ended up painting the bottom of Daddy's shoe green then pressed it onto the paper making a nice big shoe print. 
We let it dry for a bit.

Then we painted the bottom of my sons foot blue, he was so excited about this part.

We carefully placed his foot over Daddy's print making a cute little blue foot print.

After the paint was fully dry I wrote the poem that my son had picked out for his Daddy then wrote a sappy little Father's Day note. 

It was such a cute, easy, fun way to show Daddy how much he is loved and how much he means to the both of us.





No comments:

Post a Comment