Monday, January 14, 2013

Chicken Burrito Bowl (Chipotle Style)

One of our favorite fast casual places to eat is Chipotle, or Cha-pa-toll as we like to call it...don't ask, and  my husband and I have been craving it. Since there isn't a Chipotle anywhere near where we live I decided to try my hand at making our favorite Chipotle meals myself, a chicken burrito and a chicken burrito bowl (I'm trying to cut down on carbs so no tortilla for me.)

I found the recipes on how to make the rice, beans, chicken and the pico de gallo here and found the recipe for the guacamole here

All the ingredients you will need and how to cook it:
 Rice - Instant brown rice cooked using the directions on the box
A tablespoon of butter
Lime juice (the equivalent of half a lime)
A pinch of chopped cilantro
Mix well

Beans - A can of fat free black beans drained and rinsed then poured into a microwave safe bowl
A splash of fat free low sodium chicken broth
A dash of chili powder, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper
Mix well then heat up in the microwave

Chicken - Two chicken breasts chopped
A sprinkle of chili powder, garlic salt, onion powder, cumin and oregano
Cook chopped chicken in a pan with all the spices until done

Pico De Gallo - 3 roma tomatoes chopped
1 jalapeno chopped (I used a couple slices from the deli sliced jalapeno jar we have)
1 garlic clove minced (I used pre minced garlic)
1/4 small red onion chopped
A bit of cilantro chopped
A dash of salt and pepper
Lime juice (the equivalent of half a lime)
Mix everything together really well. I used my new food processor so I threw all the ingredients into the processor and let it do the chopping and mixing for me.

Guacamole - (I only made half the recipe so this is what I used)
1 and a half ripe avocados
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/6 cup chopped jalapenos (again I used the slices from the deli jalapeno jar)
1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice
1/4 tablespoon lime juice
Pinch of salt
Mash the avocados in a bowl with a fork then add all the other ingredients and mix well. Again I used my food processor and threw all the ingredients in and let it do all the work.

Here is everything I used to make our chicken burrito and burrito bowl, I tried to set it up just like Chipotle. The goods (from right to left, bottom to top): rice, beans, chicken, pico de gallo, shredded cheddar jack cheese, guacamole and fat free sour cream.

 My chicken burrito bowl, it was delicious! My husband absolutely loved his chicken burrito, he said it pretty much tasted like the real thing and asks me almost every day to make it again.




No comments:

Post a Comment