Saturday, August 16, 2014

Totally Tubular 80's Party

My hubby turned the big Four O last weekend and to celebrate I threw him an 80's party. People kept asking me "why the 80's" my response: "big hair, funky clothes and awesome music....why not?!" Plus my hubs was a teenager in the late 80's so I thought it would be fun taking him back to that time!

I tried to go all out on the decorations...
I made a Mr. and Mrs. Pacman Happy Birthday sign out of poster board, construction paper, blue Die-Cut letters and fishing line. 

I covered the table with a black table cloth then used a half unfolded neon green table cloth as a runner. I got the amazing boom box center piece from Party City (they have a whole 80's section) and I found the candy from random gas stations around Colorado. 

I went to Walmart for the Transformer and Ninja Turtle posters, the characters dont look like they did in the 80's but that is when both of the cartoons came out so it works.

 Over the counter that had all the snacks on it I hung these spinning disco ball decorations from the ceiling.

I borrowed a few awesomely 80's records from my neighbor and displayed them on two of the shelves I have hanging on the walls.

I had the Happy 40 Birthday sign hanging on the outside of our front door, also from Party City.

I twisted some neon green, orange and yellow streamers then hung them from the stair banister. I added a few of the same colored balloons on the banister posts which added a lot.

I found my husbands super old lava lamp in the garage and thought it would make the perfect addition to our living room. 

I bought this awesomely ugly 80's blanket at Goodwill for $1 and it really brought the whole room together.

In the bathroom I wrote Jenny 867-5309 on the mirror....Tommy Tutone is awesome!

I also filled the bathrooms shelf with stuff that you would probably find in a bathroom in the 80's: Aqua Net hair spray, colorful heart barrettes, scrunchies, a funky bottle of cologne and some red lip stick.

The weather was supposed to be nice the day of the party so we thought it would be best to have the party inside and out so we decorated the garage too. I hung the same neon green, yellow and orange streamers from the rafters and I made a little chandelier using 4 tie die balloons that I had found at The Dollar Tree. I also had a local radio station that played the best of the 70's and 80's playing on our garage radio. 

I put out some of my husbands favorite snacks for everyone to munch on....
 My son and I made some Fire Crackers which were a gigantic hit, I had to email the recipe to everyone the next day. 
We also had tortilla chips with cream cheese salsa dip, pretzels, cheese balls and some *gag* pork rinds.

We had these disco ball plates and these colorful zebra print napkins for everyone to use, again from Party City.

 Besides beer we had soda, Tang and Kool-Aid...so 80's!
We had neon green cups and some crazy straws for people to drink these drinks with. 
Party Tip: 
Put out a Sharpie so your guests can write their names on their cup so they don't play the "is this my cup?" game all night.

I wanted to keep the adults and kinds entertained so....
For the kids I had bubbles to blow, outdoor tic tac toe using white chalk and rocks painted with blue X's and yellow O's and we had glow in the dark ring toss using glow sticks and bottles of water. 
(The kids decided to start playing before it got dark so it was semi glow in the dark ring toss)

And for the adults we had beer pong which kept them all entertained all night!

And of course everyone was suppose to dress the part....
I went for the leggings with the white scrunched down socks, the 80's Reebok high tops, an over sized AC/DC shirt and a side pony topped with a white scrunchie.
My son was 80's prep with some khaki shorts, a brown leather breaded belt, brown loafers and a popped collar.
My husband on the other hand was more 80's grunge wearing some of his old ripped jeans, high top Adidas, a Mustang shit and a horrible mullet wig...oh my!

We wanted everyone to vote for the person they thought was dressed the most 80's and who ever won got an awesome 80's prize, a 4 pack of Seagram's Wine Coolers and a Hits Of The 80's CD.

The party was amazing, it was so great having almost all our friends and almost all our family here celebrating my husbands birthday and it was so much fun dressing up and jamming out.
(The semis were my Father-In-Laws doing! Left: before my husband Right: after him)

No comments:

Post a Comment