Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Various Uses For Vinegar

Vinegar.....I cant stand the way it smells but I love how versatile it is. There is always a large bottle of vinegar under the kitchen sink because I use it for so many different things around the house. 
  • We have hard water so our dishes would come out of the dishwasher with a gross chalky film on them until I stated adding a splash of vinegar to the dish washer before each load and now our dishes are shinny clean. 
  • I also use it to clean out my coffee maker. I put about a cup of vinegar into the water section of the coffee maker then start the brewing process. After it's done running all the vinegar through I fill the water section with water and let it run to get all the vinegar out, I do this step twice. 
  • A bit of vinegar is great at getting that annoying sticky residue from price tags off almost everything.
  •  The winters here are pretty cold and snowy and my car windows love to ice over, I used to spend about 15 minutes chipping away at the ice before I could leave. Then I discovered a great de-icer made from vinegar and water. Now every winter I mix 2/3 cup vinegar and 1/3 cup water into a spray bottle so when my windows freeze up I spray it on and the ice melts away.
  • It is a great way to clean the oven window. I pour vinegar onto the window inside of the oven, enough to cover the whole window, let it sit for 10-15 minutes then I wipe it clean with a sponge. 
  • You can also use it as a drain cleaner and declogger. I pour 1/2 a cup baking soda down the drain then follow that up with a cup of vinegar. After its done bubbling I turn on the hot water for a bit and the clog is gone. 
  • I also like to use it to clean the shower heads. Having hard water causes calcification on our shower heads so I put 1/3 cup baking soda and a cup vinegar into a large Ziploc bag. I place the shower head into the liquid and let it sit over night. If you have a shower head that is attached to the wall you can use a twist tie to secure the bag onto the shower head. 
 These are the ways I use vinegar around the house but there are a ton of other ways to use it and it is pretty dang cheap so to me vinegar is just down right awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment